Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Phil's last days in Beira

It's difficult to know where to begin as I write this having just got in from Birmingham airport and with my luggage only making is as far as Jo'berg - same as last year.


Such a lot has happened since Sunday. God is Good - Deus é bom.


On the way back from Dondo I called in at Inhamizua and prayed over Alfredo aka William that the malaria would leave him. On Monday when we called in on our way to Dondo there he was as large as life vertical and saying he was almost completely well again. Allelulia Amen. Thanks to all of you who prayed for him - God has answered.


Over the weekend the blue truck was mended. But hey nothing is simple. On Monday it wouldn't start. Corrosion of one ot the battery terminals meant that insuficient current was getting through. However by the time Dan and I were due to leave Dondo the blue truck was on the road - it came to pick us up. Photo evidence to prove.







Now Pedro has Malaria.



On Monday we complete the outside lighting of Dondo as per Alece's or is it Alice's instuctions. We also do a lot of the painting of the outside with help from the bigger boys. Dan should be able to complete the rest as most of it is high altitude stuff.



Back to base for dinner. At 9-15 Dan says he's going out with some lads he's met at the centre. They're going for a Pizza. I'm not sure who the boys are but they have been in the centre. I later find that Dan hasn't taken his Mozambique phone with him. When 11-00pm arrives and Dan hasn't I am quite concerned. So I go and ask the guard if he has Pastor Bonga's phone number as Dan is missing. The guard takes me out on to the front balcony and asks Sophia about Dan. She says he's gone out with Bento, so at least I have a name if we have to involve the police. Does she know anything about Bento, 'Yes he's quite safe Bento's good' Phew I breathe a sigh of partial relief as I don't know where he is. She calls Bento and I speak to him. They are both apologetic they were just having a meal and a good time. I'm just another nagging worrying parent - but not Dan's - Deus é bom. You can hear it cant you, "I don't know what all the fuss was about I was fine". "Ah! yes but I didn't know you were"








Tuesday dawned and with it the enevitability of my return to England. I'm not good at goodbyes. We were off to Inhamizua to say goodbye. Nothing ever seems to be straight forward. We don't go to Inhamizua, but to some place I've never been before in amongst the shanty buildings of one of the suburbs. No one has said why. Than it happens the blue truck joins us. we stop and I'm called in this house. There in front of me are the gass cookers they're complete and ready for shipping out. Deus é bom.








Off to Inhamizua with the stoves, a gas bottle and the cooker engineer. Yes they work - Allelulia Amen.








The boys sing for me and pray over me for a safe journey. They present me with a book of good wishes and than it's back to base for a quick lunch, more prayers and another presentation then it's off to the airport. Check in. Pay exit tax. Say goodbye to PB, Boniface and Simao. Go through Passport control and suddenly I'm on my own. I've left ......... For the time being physically, but not mentally, spiritually or prayerfully. I will return.
We have achieved a lot but there is more to do - much more.

3 comments:

Phil Clucas said...

The time is all to pot as I posted this at 16:30hrs

Cozzie (not in Mozzie) said...

So glad you are home safely Phil, albeit minus the case! It is great to get an update at last too - been checking frequently and nagging Dan to post more. It sounds like a fruitful last few days for you, and I'm glad the cookers are now installed - how exciting! I'm sure Dan loved his pizza escape - the first of many I expect, hey Dan! The parent in you never goes away though, does it - sorry Dan, but we only do it because we care. At least now you can be free to be a teenage rebel again. But stay safe mate and don't eat too much rat xx

LaserApps said...

Phil,
Great to hear you are back and good to see the cookers working - was there meant to be an oven as well as 2 burners? Hope Pedro is fit again soon - any news on the sick child in Dondo?
Catch up with you soon!