Monday, December 17, 2007

Second Newsletter

I’m starting to wonder whether it’s really a good idea to name each newsletter “First…”, “Second…” and so on! At the moment there isn’t a great deal happening, when I was asked to write the newsletters I imagined great long essays written in the dead of night… But there isn’t much of particular significance to write!
Base:
A problem again, Alfredo once again has malaria, so prayer for that would be greatly appreciated.
Brought one of the puppy’s from Dondo back yesterday, just for an overnight stay, he lives at Inihamizua now, he’s Augusto’s and was named Frog…. For what reasons I can’t really be sure……. The gorgeous little thing’s covered in fleas but he’s so cute……. I can overlook fleas.
Going to try and get the paint for the stairs and do that jazz in the evenings when it’s a bit cooler. One of the main problems for me working here is of course the heat, so I’ve decided it would be much more clever for me to try and paint in the afternoons and evenings, when it’s “cooler” haha.

Inihamizua:
As far as I know there’s no one ill out at Inihamizua at the moment anyway! Mungo is all good so the prayer obviously helped that along to say the least.
The building seems to be coming along slowly but surely! I’ve attached a couple of pictures of that so you can have a peek. Sorry, I’d totally forgotten about Pastor Bongo’s house, so I’ll get some pictures of that for the next newsletter! Will begin painting the front walls next week hopefully! Make it look a bit posher!

Dondo:
Going out to Dondo again today, had a big old thunderstorm out there a few days ago, after a rather loud, to say the least, crack of thunder – at which point the electricity went out - I was immediately engulfed by a horde of screaming children! Seven had gone up in the coconut trees earlier after many futile attempts to knock the things down with a few big rocks. So fresh coconut all round whilst we sat watching the storm.
The painting is all finished there now, everything’s yellow!
Seven and I started walking back to town at about 1700, in the rain, which was actually really nice, walking barefoot along a warm tarmac road, in the warm pouring rain. It just wasn’t as uncomfortable as the normal heat, which made a nice change. We flagged down a lift from a big bus when it was still miles away from us, the driver decided to charge straight ahead until he was within about 5 feet away from us at which point he slammed on the brakes and came to a halt – after skidding for about 30 feet!
Suddenly walking is looking very appealing……..
Also turns out that I am Steve Irwin (RIP), if you don't know who he is shame on you! At Dondo I heard cries of "Cobra" which means snake in Portugese, so I immediately rushed over and caught it, the kids were going to kill it but I stole it away and let it go free! Not before having a couple of pictures taken though! Sadly I can't commend the efforts of the camera man - 7 million megapixels ain't any help if you're a small African kid!

Other news, met John from Kedesh the other day, was sat in the office when suddenly this hairy white man walked in! I just went “oh! Er, you must be er, John?” Turns out he’s a brilliant bloke, a really nice guy. I must say he looked like the type of person you could definitely see wearing a tie-die t-shirt though! I’m planning on visiting out there at some point during the time here, apparently he has about 20 kids living at Kedesh. For some reason I was under the impression that he was miles and miles out but he’s in between Inihamizua and Dondo.
Got to go, the dogs crying…..
xxx

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Great to hear some news, hope you are feeling better.
Maybe you could train the puppy to catch those rats!!
Have fun painting the stairs!!!
Vicky

Cozzie (not in Mozzie) said...

How dare you moan about the heat when we are freezing here! Simply not fair........